Sometimes I need a little treat and although these delicious muffins aren’t totally gut friendly for me, I can tolerate one every few days as long as I give my gut a rest in between. They freeze well too, so I can keep them out of sight until I fancy one. They are Gluten Free, Lactose Free and No Added Sugar but the pistachio nuts aren’t low FODMAP. With the coconut flour and buckwheat flour they are also relatively low GI are far as muffins go!
- Ingredients (makes 12)
- 100 gm wholewheat buckwheat flour*
- 100 gm coconut flour
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 50 gm truvia
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- zest of an orange
- 200 gm carrots
- 100 gm pistachios**
- 150 ml coconut oil
- 2 eggs
2. Mix the flours, baking powder, truvia, spices and orange rind in a large bowl.
3. Grind or crush the pistachio nuts and add them to the dry ingredients. (I find it easiest to use a coffee grinder).
4. Grate the carrots and add them to the rest of the ingredients (5).
5. Melt the coconut oil. I use the microwave but you could do it in a pan, aim to get it just warm enough to become a clear liquid rather that to get it hot. Then whisk in the eggs.
6. Combine all the ingredients.
7. Spoon into muffin cases or a greased muffin tin.
8. Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees C.
*The buckwheat flour I use isn’t guaranteed gluten free because of cross pollination issues from neighbouring farms so shouldn’t be used if you are diagnosed ceoliac, but I find it more tolerable than many highly processed, higher GI gluten free flours.
**To lower the FODMAP count of these treats replace with ground almonds